Simple syrup! Typically I use a 2 to 1 ratio (2 sugar, 1 water) to make my simple syrup. You’ll need:
- filtered water
Here’s how to make it:
- Bring mixture to a roaring boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for at least 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.
You can make a variation on flavors by adding vanilla bean pods or other various spices. Experiment! Just remember simple syrup has a horrible life span – foodborne microbs grow fast here! It should be used within the week and kept refrigerated.
What can you use it for?
- Added to fresh lemon juice with ice, it will make the best lemonade you’ve ever had.
- A must have in your home bar.
- Used in many ice cream and sorbet recipes.
- Great addition to a citrus salad vinaigrette.
- Wonderful infused with basil or other herbs and glazed on grilled vegetables, especially carrots.
- Great base for many delicious Asian marinades.
What are you waiting for? Here is My Recipe for Watermelon Martini’s Perfect for Date Night or Mom’s days off!
One thought on “How to Make Simple Syrup & Why You Need It in Your Life!”