Have 10 minutes a few simple ingredients? You can make homemade mayo!
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil or a neutral-tasting oil
Here’s how to make it:
- In a food processor or blender, whip the egg, lemon juice, mustard, salt and white pepper until well combined.
- With the motor running, drizzle oil in very slowly in a steady stream. Blend until it comes together and is thick and smooth (emulsifies).
- Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate up to a week.
Experiment! Make variations like adding a clove of garlic to make an aioli sauce, or try something with a little heat like a Serrano chile. You can even add your favorite fresh herbs!