Want to bake like a pro? Here’s the who, what, where, when, why and how on egg wash!
- Who: A baker, anyone who wants a high or low shine with the addition of color on their finished baked product.
- What: Eggs, water or cream. Sometimes salt. Depends on the desired outcome.
- Where: Used on pies, breakfast pastries and some breads.
- When: Brushed on right before the product goes in the oven, but can also be used to sealing something together. Like a calzone.
- Why: It makes your finish product shiny and gives it great color after baking.
- How: In a small bowl beat the following and lightly brush before placing your product in the oven: Very shiny – 1 egg, dash of salt, 1 teaspoon water; Not so shiny – 1 egg, 1-3 teaspoons milk; Very shiny, golden brown – 1 egg yolk, 1-3 teaspoons water.
Who knew?! I say it every day!