Monday is all about love – romantic, familial, platonic, friendship, just love.
It comes in many forms and lore has it Valentine’s Day is the celebration of a Roman priest imprisoned for marrying Christian couples. At the time it was considered a crime. Today we celebrate love. Often that comes in the form of chocolates, but fruit can be just as sweet.
Movies and songs have been written about magical potions to make someone feel affection. Thankfully your little ones don’t need coaxing. It’s fun to play though. Here’s some fruit-friendly ideas for sharing love with your little one this Valentine’s Day.
Lemony love potion
12-ounce can pink lemonade concentrate
1 cup raspberry sherbet
12-ounce can of lemon/lime soda
- In a pitcher, mix the lemonade concentrate with the recommended amount of water.
- In a separate pitcher, combine the sherbet with 1 cup of the lemonade mixture.
- Add the soda, stir, and serve. Makes 3 cups.
Love Potion Smoothie
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 small carton of yogurt
1/2 cup ice cubes
1 cup apple juice
- Place strawberries, raspberries and juice in blender.
- Blend several seconds.
- If you would like a thicker smoothie add more fruit or for a drinkable smoothie add 1/4 cup more juice.
Berry Sweet Love Potion
1/2 cup frozen strawberries, slightly thawed
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, slightly thawed
1 cup white grape juice (or apple juice)
Maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Place the first frozen strawberries, raspberries and white grape juice in a blender and mix on high until you have a uniform color.
- To make the potion thicker, add more fruit; to make it thinner, add more juice.
- Garnish extravagantly with cherries and sip, sigh, swoon. Serves 2.