Chilly weather and the holidays make many people think about treats, presents and lots of cookies. Creating a magically warm evening needs one special thing: a warm drink!
Little fingers climb willingly around a steaming mug filled with chocolate or apple treats. It’s not just about warming little hands. These drinks bring with them the aroma of the season. Best of all, these are the special little extras that easily can travel with you and made in minutes.
Today we’re sharing a hot cocoa and cider mix. Have fun with the drink. Add some sprinkles, marshmallows or whipped cream to your cocoa. Try a bit of caramel in the cider. Variety can help you find a new favorite you didn’t even know you had!!
Hot Candy Cane Coco
4 cups milk
3 (1 ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
4 peppermint candy canes, crushed
1 cup whipped cream
2 to 3 extra candy canes
- In a saucepan, heat milk until hot but not boiling
- Whisk in the chocolate and 4 crushed candy canes until melted and smooth.
- Pour cocoa into mugs and garnish with whipped cream and a whole candy cane for stirring.
Warm Mulled Cider
12 cups apple juice
6 cups cranberry juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 to 2 Tbsp. mulling spices
- Combine all of the ingredients together and simmer over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Serve with cookies or other sweet holiday treats.
“Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time.” anonymous.